Monday, October 03, 2005

Westbound and rolling

At long last we are departed - from Oregon I mean. We actually moved out of our house Sept 15, and I said that should really mark the beginning of our trip. But I must admit that it didn't really feel like it until we got on the plane for Honolulu this morning.

Having slightly weird one way tickets, we were singled out for a thorough search at the airport. Keep that in mind. It took about 20 more minutes.

It is very hard to get your stuff pared down to a reasonable amount, especially for such a long and varied itinerary. We are currently schlepping around 4 22 inch tall rolling carry-ons, 4 day packs, including one big enough to hold my computer, and 2 duffels, one large enough to crawl into. Unfortunately it's also large enough to weigh well over the new 50lb weight limit for domestic flights. After a some shuffling on the floor of the Portland airport, we got it down to 70lb and were able to finesse the international flight thing. But it's going to get harder when we're trying to fly on the cheap or into less traveled areas.

The whole idea was for everybody to have one roll-around that could be carried on or checked, depending on how we felt, and one big duffel that held the overflow, stuff we aren't using at the time, and of course the items prohibited on commercial airplanes, but which no sane person would live without. You know, a pocket knife, a fingernail scissors, a chef's knife... Well the overflow overflowed into the emergency duffel and made the main one too heavy for a Boeing 747 to get off the ground, so we shuffled and trimmed and pared. Then we mailed the smaller duffel back home with 25lb of stuff we should have no trouble doing without. Now if I can only get the rest of the family to give up their electric
toothbrushes!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! We're missing all of you already. It's too quiet around here! We hope you're getting into some good adventures now that you solved the luggage situation. Corvallis trees are starting to get their beautiful fall colors and it's still sunny weather. Althea and Katie look good. Have fun! Cheers, D&d

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert and Francie and Connor and Josie! Hi from India. I am finally able to get to a net cafe and check out your blog site but there are no updates from Hawaii! How come? Connor, you better get going on updating it.

Funny how we are both on the other side of the world now. India is rainy rainy rainy. I have had a sore throat for a week, and have had two nights of hot spicy thai food here, enough to burn anything out of me, and I think it's helping.

Jake is doing great in India; he loves most everything. He's really matured, and has decided to stay for the year, till May.

I will continue to check out Thailand. I'll be with my friend in Delhi in a few days and will get help planning it. South beaches are still on the list, but Chang Mai up north, everyone tells me to go there. But you know, I think the kids would be happier on the beaches of the south.

UPdate this thing, will you?
Love,
Judi

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Francie, Robert, Connor, Josie,
We miss you. Josee Amalya mentions Josie Grace often, wishes she were here. I can't tell if I'm just thinking about you or dreaming about you, but Francie's image is in my mind.

I guess you must be on your way to the lands under the Southern Cross. Send your visions into my dreams.

Love you,
Ariel and Josee

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you soooo much. Little Elena just takes a deep breath and sighs, "I wish I could play with Josie". Katie says "I'm bored". I say, "it's lonely without you in the neighborhood." So how are you? You haven't posted since you left!!

Write soon. Love ya'. Jeannine

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Trails! I just wanted you to know that I will be checking your World Tour site from time to time. I'm happy for you all.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home